college and beyond
Wondering how to handle college expenses? These strategies will mean money in the bank.
Paying for College
It’s less expensive to pay for college with savings than it is to borrow money and have to pay interest on the loan after graduation. Saving for college is like saving for anything else — if you start early and small, you’ll be surprised at how much you can save.
To help you save for a brighter future, we’ll tell you:
- How the Coverdell Education savings account works.
- How to smartly save for college.
- How to manage post-graduation debt.
- Should you save money for college or for retirement?
- Use our college savings calculator.
- Financial tips for preparing your kids for college.
- Learn about hidden college costs you may not have budgeted for.
Leveraging Financial Aid
Financial aid like grants and scholarships are the preferred way to pay for college since you generally don’t pay the money back. Financial aid can also cover a range of expenses, like tuition and fees, lodging, books, and supplies. So these programs are incredibly beneficial.
We will help you navigate the world of financial aid:
Borrowing for College
There are plenty of funding options available to borrow money for college. We’ll help you navigate them through topics like:
- Student loans 101: How do student loans work?
- The difference between federal and private student loans.
- Learn how to pay off student loans faster.
- Should I refinance my student loans?
- How to manage loan debt after graduation.
- Explore ways to pay for college with our Smart Money U™ program.
- Use our student loan consolidation calculator.
- What is Reasonable and Affordable Debt?
Smart Money U™ is the smart way to move toward your financial goals.
Credit card bills, debt, and saving may not be top of mind for you, but the financial decisions you make today will have a long-term impact on your life. Smart Money U™ will prepare you with the right skills to manage your financial future. The Smart Money U™ platform contains a myriad of valuable resources, including interactive educational videos in the ALEC LearningLab+, financial articles, podcasts, calculators, and more.
Check out some of our helpful calculators:
Other Educational Resources
Building Financial Resilience
It’s never too early or too late to think about building your credit history, and we’ll give you insider tips on how to do it.
Valuable tools and advice to help you make sound decisions and manage your day-to-day financial matters.