helpfraudeducationAutoCenterFinancial Tools

What do I do if my ALEC Debit/ATM card is lost or stolen? If your Debit Card is lost or stolen, contact ALEC at 800.762.9988 or 800.472.3272.

Do I need to contact ALEC in advance when traveling with my ALEC Debit/ATM card?  At ALEC, security is one of our top priorities. To help protect your personal identity and ALEC accounts against fraudulent activity, we may occasionally block transactions in foreign countries and other areas where fraud is widespread.

If you are planning to travel, please call ALEC 800.762.9988 or send us a secure email through your online banking account in advance of your travel dates.

When sending your secure email through online banking please be sure to include the following:

  • Destination
  • Travel dates
  • Contact information when traveling

Do I have to pay a fee to use ALEC’s ATMs? No, all ALEC ATMs are free to ALEC members when using your ALEC Debit or ATM card. Click here to find an ATM nearest you.

What is the minimum balance for my Free Checking or Rewards Checking account? There is no minimum balance for either ALEC checking account, however a Rewards Checking account requires an opening balance of $50.00.

How do I reorder checks? To order checks online, simply click here and follow the instructions.  You may also visit an ALEC Service Center or call 800.762.9988 to speak to a Member Service Representative.

Why is the available balance on my checking accounts sometimes different from my actual balance? The available balance excludes pending transactions made when you use your ALEC Debit Card. Pending transactions are debit card transactions that have not yet posted to your account and the funds are held against your available balance. Normally, a pending item converts into a posted transaction, but if a merchant does not complete the transaction, it will expire and the temporary funds hold will be removed. Some merchants such as gas stations will only authorize your account for $1.00; however, the transaction will post to your account for the total amount of the purchase.

Does ALEC offer a FREE Online Bill Payment? Yes, ALEC offers free Online Bill Pay to members with an ALEC Free Checking or Rewards Checking account who are registered for Online Banking. Because of the cost of maintaining the accounts, Bill Pay accounts deemed inactive will be turned off.

Can I open a checking account without opening a savings account? No, all members are required to open a savings account and maintain a minimum balance of $5.00 to be eligible for any of our accounts and services.

How can I place a stop payment on a check? You can place a stop payment on a check:

  • Online: Submit your request from the stop payment page, found under the 'Self Service' tab in Online Banking
  • Telephone Banking: Dial our automated service and selecting checking services.
  • By Phone: Contact our Member Service Representatives 24/7 at 847.688.8000 or 847.762.9988.
  • In person at an ALEC Service Center

Is there a fee to place a stop payment on a check? Yes, there is a $26 fee to place a stop payment on a check.

Let us help you make the switch.  It can be very hard to switch financial institutions. Our Switch Kit enables you to gather all the necessary forms and information to print and send to your payroll department or any vendor that has an automatic debit coming from the account you are closing.


Apply today.

Copyright ©2015 Abbott Laboratories Employees Credit Union
401 N. Riverside Drive Ste 1-A Gurnee, Illinois 60031-5915
847.688.8000     800.762.9988

American Share